Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Intermission - or Winging It

It took a bit of trying to wing-it with the curriculum before I admitted to my confusion. I decided then that I needed to find an all-in-one boxed type of curriculum to guide me. I spent a good two months reading review sites and catalogs, calling companies and drilling poor operators, haunting the local homeschool stores and questioning family members before I narrowed it down to 2 companies: Alpha Omega
Publications and A Beka. I really liked how much A Beka offered, but thought about my kids and our lifestyle and chose the LIFEPAC
curriculum from Alpha Omega. I did this because the girls wouldn't have to lug around a bunch of books, their workbooks and textbooks would be combined into one and then broken up into easy to handle and carry booklets.

I wish, for my kids' circumstances that I had chosen a higher grade level for some subjects, but also that I had gone with the Switched-On Schoolhouse R²
computer based program for my older daughter. Next year if we continue to homeschool I will be going with the Switched-On Schoolhouse R²
program for her (she will be in the 4th grade). I think it will keep her more drawn to her studies.

So far, I have not regretted my choice of going with Alpha Omega Publications and I plan on continuing to use their products. I love that it is all inclusive, simple enough for the girls to understand but also challenging enough to keep them occupied. I heartily recommend this company as a wonderful beginning curriculum for any homeschooling family.

No comments: