Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Teaching A Child To Read

I'm not sure exactly how I managed to teach my oldest daughter to read, she picked it up fairly easily. My middle daughter learned from my older daughter - I thought she was struggling because she hid the fact that she could read, but she had a 2nd grade reading level at her first kindergarten PT conference - much to my surprise! But, my youngest - having the problems with dyslexia - was one heck of a challenge.

When she was struggling in kindergarten, I did a lot of research on the internet and spent a lot of time at the library and book store. I found one book that blew everything away for us. It's called
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and has been a god-send for us. It is a whole reading curriculum in a book, you don't need anything else if you don't want. And for a newbie to homeschooling, it was stupid-proof. You read what was in red and the child reads what was in black. You can start kids on it as young as 4 and when they are done they have a 2nd grade reading level. Each lesson takes about 15-20 minutes.

I recommend that everyone read the introduction in the beginning of the book that explains the theories of the author and the system it uses. It was very helpful and informative.

I really can't say enough good things about this book. Much to a child's demise I even began buying it for people for their kids' 4th grade birthdays. lol The kids always look at me as if I've lost my mind, but the parents know. What greater gift to give a child than the gift of knowledge!

No comments: